Child care teachers and providers should pay
special attention to the mealtime environment. The environment sets the
tone for the meal and can facilitate children’s success with their
emerging eating and social skills. After completing this module you
will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of a pleasant mealtime
- Define “styles of meal service.”
- State why family style is the recommended service method for
child care meals.
- List characteristics of family style meals.
- Identify the benefits of serving family style meals.
- Follow three steps to transition to family style meals in
your home or center.
- Recognize correct and incorrect practices during mealtime.
- Assess your current mealtime environment.
other styles of service that may be used occasionally in child care.