Creating a Pleasant Mealtime Environment
Overview / Objectives
Child care teachers and providers should pay special attention to the mealtime environment. The environment sets the tone for the meal and can facilitate children’s success with their emerging eating and social skills. After completing this module you will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of a pleasant mealtime environment.
- Define “styles of meal service.”
- State why family style is the recommended service method for child care meals.
- List characteristics of family style meals.
- Identify the benefits of serving family style meals.
- Follow three steps to transition to family style meals in your home or center.
- Recognize correct and incorrect practices during mealtime.
- Assess your current mealtime environment.
- Describe other styles of service that may be used occasionally in child care.